Thursday, October 20, 2011

Do “Coincidences” Matter?

I guess my flights are my time to reflect.  Today I was on the plane to North Carolina at the crack of dawn waiting for everyone to board and started thinking about random stuff… yes… the word random occurs a lot when referring to my thoughts J
“Ughhhh… I shouldn’t have ate that breakfast biscuit.  I’m gonna pay for that later today.”
“Dang it… I didn’t buy a magazine, now I’m gonna have to look at Sky Mall… at all of the overpriced novelty stuff.  Does anyone actually buy any of this? …ooo… that watch is cool… what?  $400 for a Casio?!?  Are they nuts!?!?”
“Hmmm… wonder what we’ll eat for lunch?  Oh… we’re going to The Oceanic for supper!!!  Woo Hoo!!! Grouper and those awesome hushpuppies!!!”
Then I fell asleep. I never sleep on flights, but this morning was an exception.  Next thing I know, we’re taking off and the rumbling of the wheels on the tarmac kinda startled me.  I don’t know why… well yes… actually I do… but anyway… I started thinking about my job.  Specifically how I’m not all that excited about it.  I’ve had to deal with some very difficult personalities in this new assignment and even been yelled at and called stupid. Add to it that I’m supposed to help break into a new business while dealing with a huge company that resists change.  Basically, I was questioning if I’m where I’m supposed to be.
As with most of my rabbit trails, I took a left and headed a different direction that I thought I was heading.  I started by telling myself that I’m in the wrong place and I’d normally start exploring my options for a job change.  Instead, I started looking for evidence that I was in the right spot.
I often look for God’s direction or affirmation in “coincidences” that happen in my life. I believe that “coincidences” don’t really exist.  Those situations fall into the “if it’s seems impossible, then it was God” category.  If I truly believe that God controls everything, then He made it happen.  If He made it happen, there is purpose.
So the big “coincidence” that I immediately thought of was how I got this job in the first place. The role I was previously in had a bunch of ups and downs.  There were some weeks and months where I had nothing to do, so I had tried to get on with my current program. At the time, nothing was available.  Fast forward about six months.  My previous role was ending and I needed a new assignment.  Just so happens that my current program needed some help, so I went over.
I started helping out and the managers mentioned that they needed to assign a Chief Engineer.  This role was the next logical step in my career… the “coincidences” are building!  When they finally got around to conducting interviews, I was the logical choice because I already had a few months of experience doing the job.
Wow! So I really was supposed to get this job.  God must want me here! 
Hold on… the trail keeps going… I’m working with two customers and they are both huge challenges. One is located in Wilmington, NC, and the other in Lynchburg, VA.  These are both really small towns. What are the chances of knowing anyone from either?  Apparently, they are pretty good!  Within the last year or so, I’ve become really good friends with three people that are from each.  I know, you’re thinking… ‘so what? That’s random, but doesn’t mean anything’. 
Well that’s where my epiphany came in… it does mean something!!!  It means everything!!!  God doesn’t do everything in big bright flashing lights!!!  Sometimes He is very subtle!  I’d much rather Him smack me in the head with His message, but then its not Faith!  I gotta keep looking for Him in the little things cause it’ll keep me encouraged… it’ll build my faith… it’ll ensure to me that I’m in His will… and frankly, that’s where I want to be.
So tell me, what have you experienced that shows God’s fingerprints?  Big or small… let me hear ‘em!!

No comments:

Post a Comment